Malaysia is well known for her diverse racial groups and cultures, which attract many tourists each year to experience it for themselves. Contrary to popular belief, despite the differences in cultural practices and values between these racial groups, most of the people live harmoniously.
As I came from a national stream secondary school, I had Malays, Indians, Chinese and some other lesser known ethnic groups in my class. This was a relatively large transition because I had only Chinese friends and teachers in my Chinese medium primary school. Each year during the month of Ramadhan, the Muslims will fast during the day. It was in my first year in secondary school that I saw my Muslim friends not drinking water and they didn't join us for lunch or recess. Having living in Malaysia my whole life, I understood what was going on. It was just that I never had any first hand encounter before that. What was astonishing that time was that all my friends of another racial group refrained from drinking water in front of them and we had our packed food outside the classroom. It was a gesture of respect and understanding that we didn't deliberately tempt them with the food. We weren't taught by anyone to do so. It was simply a common understanding that we all had. It wasn't only practised a few of us. I believe many people did the same.
In the setting of a multiracial community like Malaysia, intercultural communication and understanding are extremely important for the people to live harmoniously. There have been events where blood was shed simply because people were being inconsiderate towards another race's cultural practices. Very often, all it takes is just the initiative to be considerate and have respect to another man's cultural beliefs.
A good insight to a multi-racial environment and how basic understanding and respect can go a long way. Simple, small action such as those mentioned goes a long way and says alot about the community and individual. I must admit that during the recent month of Ramadhan, I carelessly asked a Malay friend of mine if he was having lunch. In a split second though, I realized my error and immediately sought to casually brush my mistake aside. With so many different cultures in the world today, it's important to exercise understanding and tolerance among these cultures. However, it is also important that this is practiced both ways.
ReplyDeleteHi PngNing, thanks for your post.
ReplyDeleteIt reminds me of myself being like Lance, who asked Malay friends to have lunch/dinner together. Fortunately, they are always very forgiving and will politely state that they are fasting.
Lance and Chris,
ReplyDeleteI realised it's easier to remember that the Muslims are fasting in Malaysia. It happened to me last month when I accidentally asked a Malay friend to lunch with me too. Don't think that ever happened to me when I was back home.
It's these small acts which should be passed down to make sure that everyone lives harmoniously.
Hi PngNing, very insightful post. I remembered having to learn first hand about "halal food" and how utensils could not be shared when i was in secondary one. All i wanted was to "steal a bite" out of my muslim friends plate of rice, and the next moment he went "you can have the whole plate of rice", because I had used the utensils from a Chinese stall.Filled with guilt(Yes, even 13 year old me understood the concept of guilt haha), I ended up treating him to McDonalds after school.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Ning, for offering this perspective, very much as a counterbalance to the experience that Klara offered. You do a good job of describing a situation, clearly and concisely, where sensitivity and empathy were on display. As you also state, it actually takes an effort to respect others and their beliefs.
ReplyDeleteWhat one can only hope is that governments worldwide-- and parents who truly care about their children growing up in a peaceful society -- make an effort to enculcate the value for "others" that is essential as a basis for intercultural understanding amongst the citizens of tomorrow.