Sunday, 11 September 2011

Application Letter


PNG NING (Ms.)
King Edward VII Hall,
XX XXXX XXXXX XXXX, Singapore XXX XXX
8th September 2011

Manager,
Human Resource Department ,
Temasek Life Sciences Laboratory Limited, 
1 Research Link National University of Singapore 117 604 

Application for Undergraduate Internship Programme
Dear Hiring Manager,
I am writing to apply for the internship position advertised in your official website.  As requested, I am enclosing my resume for your reference.
I am currently a year 2 Life Sciences undergraduate in National University of Singapore.  My strong tertiary education, relevant laboratory experience and enthusiasm will make me a very competitive candidate for this position. 
Last August, I participated in the Open House programme organised by your company.  I am particularly interested in the BioForest research project headed by Dr. Naweed Naqvi.  The technology used and her scientific approach in maximising the potential of laboratory grown seedlings captivate my attention.  I hope to be able to join her team for this internship.
I believe that I would an asset to your program as I am most willing to learn the necessary skills. This internship would provide me with the ideal opportunity to assist at your organization and to expand my research skills.
I can be reached via email at pngning@gmail.com or mobile at +(65)85056298.
Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to receiving your favourable reply.
Yours sincerely,
Png Ning

5 comments:

  1. Hi Png Ning,

    Your application is well written.

    Just one suggestion:
    "I believe that I would an asset to your program as I am most willing to learn the necessary skills."to be replaced by "I believe that I would an asset to your program as I am a keen learner."

    The "keen learner" may act as power words.

    Overall, it is clear and concise. All the best in your application!

    Chris :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Png Ning,

    Your experience of participating the program organized by the company will make you more competitive.

    However, I think you should further elaborate your relevant laboratory experience to show your ability.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Chris, thanks a lot for the reminder!

    Michael, I agree with you that I should have concentrated more on my laboratory experience. Thank you very much for reading my post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Png Ning, i have a small suggestion to an otherwise clear application letter. You could have the line about your resume towards the end instead of the very beginning, after you explain your skills and experience, even though it is a requirement. I'm not sure how relevant it is, but it felt a bit odd.
    See you tomorrow!
    Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Ning!

    I think that this is a very effective application letter; it captures the audience with its succinctness and relevance.

    I felt it was good that you stated your preference to work in a certain lab - this demonstrated your interest in the program clearly and sets this resume apart.

    All the best!

    Dave

    ReplyDelete